Mold. A four-letter word that incites worry and disgust.
Our homes are our sanctuaries, and to find out we have mold in air ducts is a stressful thought.
Worry no more because knowledge is power, and knowing what types of mold can be found in your air ducts is one step closer to getting rid of them and ensuring clean air in your home.
Let’s discuss the five most common mold types found in the air ducts of your home.
Acremonium is a highly toxic mold with a white, powder-like appearance. This mold grows over longs periods of time.
Acremonium is most commonly found in the moist areas of your air conditioner ducts.
A type of mold that appears in very wet areas, like in air ducts that have been damaged by water leaks.
It is also known to spread to other areas where condensation is frequent.
This allergenic and toxigenic mold can have a pink, white, or red appearance.
Another common mold in the vents of our homes is Chaetomium. This mold is one of the harder ones to classify because it changes color over time.
It has a cotton type texture and begins white in color. Eventually, the white changes from gray to brown, and finally to black.
Chaetomium is common in water-damaged places. It is often seen on walls, but it can also be found in air ducts.
The smell of must can help identify that the mold is in fact Chaetomium.
A mold in our air vents that is also a cause for concern is called Stachybotrys. Known most commonly as black mold, Stachybotrys is highly toxic and fast-spreading.
It is easy to identify because of its black color, although it may sometimes appear as a dark green, slimy mold.
Stachybotrys appears most often in the damp areas of air ducts.
Mucor is a mold found in decaying fruits and vegetables. Mucor is also a type of mold in AC units in many of our homes.
It’s known to spread from the air conditioner unit to the entire system of air vents of a home.
This type of mold has some potentially hazardous risks to our health and must be treated as quickly as possible.
Mucor can be white or gray and appears in patches in the air ducts.
Some of the potential health risks include symptoms similar to the flu. In more serious cases, a fungal infection known as mucormycosis may occur.
This infection may cause damages to the nose and sinuses, eyes, lungs, or the brain.
Mold in Air Ducts No More
These five common molds can cause some severe problems for the structures of our homes and our health.
Contacting a professional for regular air duct cleanings will keep your home clean and your loved ones safe.
Mold in air ducts is not something any of us want. Contact us today to learn about our air duct cleaning and other services to help you breathe healthy air.